Rent Lawyers in Chandigarh
Renting out your property may seem like an easy source of income, but it can be a legal minefield. Also you may have to pay tax on the income you earn. If there are disagreements between you and your tenants, it can quickly become a drain on your time and resources. The best way to avoid this is to take the right legal advice at the start.
Lawyers in Chandigarh can deal with all areas of landlord and tenant law and are skilled in settling disagreements. But prevention is better than cure. Before you even look for a tenant, a rent lawyer in Chandigarh can help you decide what the terms of the tenancy will be and can build these terms into a written ‘tenancy agreement’ tailored to your needs.
Tenancy agreements – A tenancy agreement is a contract between you and your tenant. This contract can be written or verbal. In Chandigarh, Punjab and Haryana there is no law to say that landlords have to provide a written tenancy agreement, but it is a good idea to do so. Otherwise, if you have a dispute with your tenant about the terms of the agreement, it is your word against theirs as to what was agreed.
The main advantage of having a written tenancy agreement is that it sets out your rights and responsibilities as a landlord in a way that is legally enforceable. This keeps disagreements to a minimum because both sides know where they stand.
Getting rent advice from a rent lawyer in Chandigarh
Ideally, you should contact your rent lawyer in Chandigarh as soon as you start thinking about renting your property out. This will give you a clear idea of the terms to offer to any tenant you are considering. A rent lawyer in Chandigarh can:
- explain the different types of tenancy agreement and identify the most suitable for you;
- draw up or check a tenancy agreement for you;
- highlight the essential requirements and terms of your tenancy agreement;
- explain any related legal issues;
- warn you of any pitfalls, including advice on how to end an agreement; and
- give you advice on the type of tenant references to ask for.
Finding a rent lawyer in Chandigarh High Court
Drawing up your rent agreement for your property in Chandigarh, Punjab and Haryana – Once you have appointed a rent lawyer in Chandigarh , they will explain your rights and responsibilities as a landlord. You then have the opportunity to explain your specific needs and concerns. This will help the rent lawyer in Chandigarh to draw up a tenancy agreement that is tailor-made to your needs. During this process, your rent lawyer in Chandigarh will cover the following issues with you.
- Tenant agreement in Chandigarh, Punjab and Haryana – What type of tenancy do you want? How many tenants will live in the property? What notice will you or your tenant need to give to end the tenancy? How long will the tenancy last?
- Restrictions – What restrictions do you want to place on your tenants about keeping pets or playing loud music?
- Rent – How much rent can you charge? When must the tenant pay the rent? What penalties are there for paying late? When can you increase the rent? Are Council Tax and fuel included in the rent?
- Deposits – What deposit must the tenant pay? Is the property furnished? If so, will the agreement include a list of furnishings and fittings? When should you return the deposit and in what circumstances can you keep it? All deposits taken by landlords must be held as returnable security. These schemes make it easier to resolve disputes over deposits. You must tell the tenant in writing which scheme the deposit is being held in and how it will be returned once tenent is to leave. Your rent lawyer in Chandigarh can tell you more about tenancy deposit schemes.
- Service charges and repairs – Will you provide any services such as laundry, maintenance or meals? Will you be making separate service charges for these? What are your duties to make repairs?
- Access – What are your rights to enter the property? It is a good idea to give all these issues some thought before you visit your rent lawyer in Chandigarh , and to take along any documents which may be relevant.
- Using the agreement – Once you have a tenancy agreement, make sure that both you and your tenant sign it at the start of the tenancy. You must give your tenant a copy of the agreement if they ask for it.
- Related matters – Your rent advocate in Chandigarh
can also give you advice on some of the broader issues involved in being a landlord, such as tax liability and what to do if the property you want to rent out is mortgaged.
- Disagreements – If you do have a disagreement with your tenants, there are several ways your rent lawyer in Chandigarh can help. Whether it’s a simple case of checking your legal rights, or something more complicated such as adapting your tenancy agreement, negotiating a solution or even going to court, your rent lawyer in Chandigarh has the knowledge and experience to support you.
- Costs – Charges can vary between rent lawyer in Chandigarh s and depend upon the type and complexity of the tenancy agreement you want. Before you decide who to use, check with a few local rent lawyer in Chandigarh s to compare their charges. Remember that you may have to pay more for a more experienced rent lawyer in Chandigarh.