Client married in India, was settled in Canada, wife was in India, contacted us to seek advice on where to file divorce. We asked him the following questions:
- Is wife willing to give divorce?
- Can wife come to Canada to litigate?
- Did client have kids?
- Did client want to go back to India?
- Did client want to pay spouse support?
- Did client own property in India?
- Had client considered prospect of criminal case in India?
On the basis of these answers we advised him to get divorced in Canada, even though foreign divorce is sometimes not recognized in India.
If you were married in India, consult us to before you file divorce in Canada, USA, UK or any other foreign country. You should not go wrong on this.